October 3, 2017
Wednesday October 4
Brevik Hall, Aurora Cultural Centre
4:45 - tour of the Exhibition in Town Park
6:00 - 8:00 pm - Opening Reception
Special Guest - Barb Hannah
Granddaughter of Canada's only Individual Nobel Peace Laureate,
Lester B. Pearson
Making Peace is a major public outdoor event that aims to teach the public, especially young people what key elements are necessary to create a 'sustainable peace', and provides an opportunity for people of all ages to get involved in bringing about positive change. Curated by Ashley Woods, the exhibition was first produced to mark the centenary of the Nobel Peace Prize awarded to the International Peace Bureau in 1910.
The exhibition will be on view in Aurora’s Town Park until November 19 and consists of cubes upon which are placed 120 photographs from 110 photographers/agencies. Each cube is organized thematically under five related themes: Disarmament and Nonviolence; Conflict Prevention and Resolution; Economic and Social Justice; Human Rights; Law and Democracy; and Environment and Sustainable Development.
Tribute to Lester B. Pearson, Nobel Peace Laureate, 1957
Celebrating Canada's 150th anniversary, we pay special tribute to Lester Bowles Pearson, Canada's 14th Prime Minister and the only Canadian individual to receive the Nobel Peace Prize, which he won 60 years ago in 1957 for establishing the United Nations Emergency Force to resolve the Suez Canal Crisis. Pearson is known in international circles as the "Father of Modern Peacekeeping".
"Of all our dreams today there is none more important - or so hard to realise - than that of peace in the world. May we never lose our faith in it or our resolve to do everything that can be done to convert it one day into reality."
For more information please contact Shawna White, Aurora Museum & Archives firstname.lastname@example.org, (905) 505-1190.
Check out the Making Peace website.
Photo Credit: Teun Voeten
Note: Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson was a child of the manse in Aurora. His father, Edwin A. Pearson served Aurora Methodist Church from 1900-1903. In 1925 at the time of church union, Aurora Methodist then became Aurora United Church.