Building Our Future
Building Our Future
Building Our Future What’s New as of NOVEMBER 1, 2017
The EDGE Property Committee has created a communication process to keep the congregation in the loop on developments and actions on an ongoing basis. Updates will appear on the website, as well as in the weekly bulletin. As always, please contact one of the EDGE Property Committee members with any questions or concerns − we’re happy to help!
PLANNING – Progress Report Þ December 16, 2016 - Original site plan agreement presented to Town of Aurora January 31, 2017 - Offer to Lease signed by the Trustees of AUC on behalf of the Congregation and by Southbound Developments. A deposit cheque is being held by our lawyer. We are now in full swing to get things moving!
March 22, 2017 - Public Planning Meeting at Town Hall – concerns of neighbors and Town Council about the plan submitted are heard
May 9, 2017 - AUC owned houses along Temperance and Tyler are de-listed as houses of interest from the Heritage listings
May 24, 2017 – Public Planning Meeting - Revised drawings, submitted to the Town of Aurora for the site plan approval are presented and discussed
July 04, 2017 – Aurora Town Council, General Committee – approval of staff recommendations to approve AUC applications for Official Plan Amendment to increase the max. building height to (7) stories and By-law Amendment to rezone church property to Promenade Downtown Zone to permit a 2 storey church and a retirement development of 6 stories on Yonge and 7 stories on Temperance July 11, 2017 – Aurora Town Council, in a 7-2 vote approve the applications for all Amendments
July 25, 2017 – Congregational Meeting – updates on our progress are presented to the congregation by the EGDE team, Architect Bob Murphy, Southbound Developments and Fontenn Consultants
October 29, 2017 – Congregational Meeting – updates on our progress are presented to the congregation by Brian North, chair of the EDGE Property Committee - 3 significant obstacles have arisen as of late however, the project is still moving full steam ahead and our partners Southbound Developments are just as positive about achieving our initial goals
1. Stage Three Archaeological Assessment A discovery of some remains from some remaining burial sites that surround the church building has moved this assessment to a Stage 4 Archaeological site. In 1888 when the Aurora Methodist Church Board of Trustees, petitioned to obtain authority to level or cause to be leveled off the said burial ground. It was our understanding that any remains had been moved to the Aurora Cemetery with the approval of Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario. The remains discovered at the this time have been respectfully exhumed to be re-interred as per Provincial guidelines. Current excavation will be completed but the remainder of the site must be closed for winter and resumed in the spring. With this comes added costs and timing issues for AUC.
2. Appeal to the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) A neighbour has taken the first steps of appeal to the (OMB) Ontario Municipal Board in opposition to the decision made by the Town of Aurora to adopt the Official Plan Amendment that allows our proposed redevelopment of the AUC site on Yonge Street At this time the OMB is reviewing the file to determine if a pre-hearing or a hearing is required possibly for January or February 2018
3. Bell Canada Easement In a meeting with Bell Canada Newmarket, regarding the easement across the back of our property granted to them in 1989, they presented AUC with a projected cost of $1,300,000.00 to move the lines and along with an unreasonable time schedule. Southbound Developments will be working closely with Bell to rectify the problems and to come to a reasonable solution The EDGE Property Committee will continue to keep the congregation informed on a regular basis as new information is received regarding the Stage Four Archaeological Assessment, appeal to the OMB and the Bell Canada Easement.
Activity on Site
The Stage 3 Archaeological testing began on August 29.
Stage 4 Archaeological excavation began after the first discovery of remains
The trees on the site have been removed and the application for the demolition of the houses this fall is pending approval, estimation of removal – end of November
Upcoming Dates Þ Next EDGE Meeting – the EDGE Committee members will be working with the architect to finalize the design for the new church building - Nov 8 Approvals completed/building permits received and shovels in the ground - Spring 2018 (anticipated)Completion - Winter 2019 (anticipated)
Check out the AUC website for the latest updates and developments: Þ See the presentation made to our Congregation on October 30th, 2016 by Michael Wright our EDGE Property Consultant. Þ View our letter distributed to the immediate neighbours of Aurora United Church - 15186 Yonge Street
A link to the revised architectural renderings presented to the Town of Aurora at the May 24 Public Planning Meeting. Links to Town Public Planning Meeting videos.
EDGE Committee members: Brian North (chair), John Clement, Doug Gilpin, Crawford Heritage, Pat Innes, Scott Sinclair, Dave Snelgrove, Holly Todd Williamson, Rev. Andy Comar &
Rev. Lorraine Newton-Comar
Missed these Town of Aurora meetings? Click on the links below to view them. New links will be added as they are made public.
Available Files to Download
To download, right-click the file and select "Save link as".
- Letter to AUC Neighbours.pdf
- Aurora.Public Planning Meeting.03.22.17.pdf
- Aurora Town Council.Public Planning Meeting.Bookmarks.05.24.17.pdf
- Aurora Town Council.Public Planning Meeting.05.24.17.pdf
- Aurora Town Council.General Committee.07.04.17.pdf
- Aurora Town Council Meeting.07.11.17.pdf
- EDGE Property Committee Update.October.29.17.docx