Building Our Future
Building Our Future
Building Our Future ~ What’s New as of July 24, 2017
The EDGE Property Committee has created a communication process to keep the congregation in the loop on developments and actions on an ongoing basis. Updates will appear on the website, as well as in the weekly bulletin. As always, please contact one of the EDGE Property Committee members with any questions or concerns − we’re happy to help!
PLANNING – Progress Report
• December 16, 2016 - Original site plan agreement presented to Town of Aurora
• January 31, 2017 - Offer to Lease signed by the Trustees of AUC on behalf of the Congregation and by Southbound Developments. A deposit cheque is being held by our lawyer. We are now in full swing to get things moving!
• March 22, 2017 - Public Planning Meeting at Town Hall – concerns of neighbors and Town Council about the plan submitted are heard
• May 9, 2017 - AUC owned houses along Temperance and Tyler are de-listed as houses of interest from the Heritage listings
• May 24, 2017 – Public Planning Meeting - Revised drawings, submitted to the Town of Aurora for the site plan approval are presented and discussed
- the height of the retirement building reduced by two floors
- building style along Temperance modified to better reflect the residential style of the surrounding neighborhood
- the parking lot off Yonge St. removed from design proposal freeing space for retail or community purpose
• July 04, 2017 – Aurora Town Council, General Committee – approval of staff recommendations to approve AUC applications for Official Plan Amendment to increase the max. building height to (7) stories and By-law Amendment to rezone church property to Promenade Downtown Zone to permit a 2 storey church and a retirement development of 6 stories on Yonge and 7 stories on Temperance
• July 11, 2017 – Aurora Town Council, in a 7-2 vote approve the applications for all Amendments
• July 25, 2017 – Congregational Meeting – updates on our progress are presented to the congregation by the EGDE team, Architect Bob Murphy, Southbound Developments and Fontenn Consultants
Several meetings, emails and conversations have been made to open the discussions and planning process with our Neighbours - Ratepayers Association as we continue to try to address their concerns
Activity on Site
• PARKING LOT – The church parking lot will be closed as of July 31sy. Shortly after the Phase 3 Archeological testing will be completed and Hoarding will be erected surrounding the property.
• Next EDGE Meeting – the EDGE Committee members will be exploring ideas and taking suggestions in the interim summer weeks in preparation for the design process for the new church building
• Approvals completed/building permits received and shovels in the ground - Winter 2017 (anticipated)
• Completion - Winter 2019 (anticipated)
Check out the AUC website for the latest updates and developments:
· See the presentation made to our Congregation on October 30th, 2016 by Michael Wright our EDGE Property Consultant.
· View our letter distributed to the immediate neighbours of Aurora United Church - 15186 Yonge Street A link to the revised architectural renderings presented to the Town of Aurora at the May 24 Public Planning Meeting Links to Town Public Planning Meeting videos.
EDGE Committee members: Brian North (chair) John Clement Doug Gilpin Crawford Heritage Pat Innes Scott Sinclair Dave Snelgrove Holly Todd Williamson Rev. Andy Comar Rev. Lorraine Newton-Comar
Missed these Town of Aurora meetings? Click on the links below to view them. New links will be added as they are made public.
Available Files to Download
To download, right-click the file and select "Save link as".